Monday, August 29, 2011

I was 17 years old, that day my life being to fall to a million pieces all over again, right before my eyes. I was sitting in Math class, all ready to start my assignment, when I heard over the loud speaker “Lillian Hoskins please report to the main office ready to leave right away!”  My teacher looked at me and I grabbed my books and walked out of the class, walked down a few halls to my locker put some things into my backpack and grabbed my coat. I got to the office to see my mother sitting there in a chair, with swollen, blood shot eyes, giving the appearance that something was way wrong, because my mother never cried, in fact, in all 16 years of my life I had only ever seen my mother cry once. I went over to her and asked what was going on; she said she would tell me in the car. She signed me out and we left. As soon as we got to the car my mother said to me “Lillian..Your grandfather has been in a terrible car accident, they are giving him about 24 hours, they don’t even know if he will make it through the night.”   Hearing that one sentence ruined my life. I was so close to my grandfather, we did everything together, he was like my father. Because my father died when I was 10 years old, that was the day I first saw my mother cry. I lost it, I cried, harder than I’d ever cried before. I was lost in my own thoughts I did not know what to do, so instead of crying some more, I took my cell phone out of my purse and dialed my best friend Jimmy’s cell phone number, although I knew he was still in Math class, I knew he would answer, because I never left school, unless something was really wrong. He answered his phone and I could hear the teacher in the background asking him why he was using his cell phone, he asked if he could go to the hall for just a few minutes than he could explain, it was Okayed and he said “Lillian? What’s going on? Is everything okay?” I just cried, and told him what I had been told. He sat there on the other line in silence. Then I heard a door open and him say to his teacher “Mr. Smith, it is Lillian on the phone, her grandfather got into a very bad car accident and is not expected to live for more than 24 hours at the most. She is hysterical, since I drive myself to school, would it be allowed for me to call and ask my mother if I could leave school right now and meet Lillian at the hospital to comfort her.” Mr. Smith said that would be perfectly fine, and Jimmy said to me that he would meet me at the hospital in 15mins. We hung up the phone and I continued to cry. My mother and I arrived at the hospital and walked up to the third floor and asked which room my grandfather was in, they told us he was in room 34 on the 7th floor, we about ran there and I left a message on Jimmy’s phone telling him what room and floor. When we walked into the room, there lay my grandfather, slightly limp, bruised and scared, a cast on his left leg, and a breathing tube in his nose, and a white bandage on his head. I stood there in shock and scared for my grandfather.  My mother went over and knelt down by the bedside and held her father’s hand,  she was not sure at all of what to say or do. That was the second time she had sat by the bedside of a man in her life who she dearly loved, the first time her husband this time her father. If I could only tell her something to comfort her, I was in the same position in my eyes, I lost my father when I was just 10 years old, now my grandfather, both men that meant everything to me. I was not standing there longer than 10 minutes before Jimmy came running in the room, he grabbed me in a hug and I buried my face in his shoulder and cried, harder than I had before. I expected him to let me go, you know when you hug someone and eventually one person lets go, well he did not, he just held me as tight as he could, that’s a true friend in my eyes. A half hour or so passed before I realized he was crying too, it had never come to my realization before now, that Jimmy was just as close to my grandfather as me, so this hit him just as hard as it hit me. My mother asked Jimmy if he would drive me home, so I could get something to eat, shower, and just chill out, because she figured it was going to be harder if I stayed there, instead of being in the comfort of my own home. Jimmy said yeah, and we left. We got to his car and he asked if I wanted to go home or if he wanted him to take me somewhere to get my mind off everything, I said that was good. And he drove, for a long time, just driving and he turned on my favorite CD and sung with me, even though he had a horrible voice, it made me laugh, well the little laugh anyone would laugh if they had that situation. He pulled onto a long driveway and I could not see what was at the end, when we reached the end, there was a building and it came to me, this is where we met, where our friendship began to unfold and our journey as best friends began. We got out and he asked if this was an okay place to bring me, I shook my head vigorously and we walked in. Nothing had changed in this little in-home restaurant owned by the librarian of our school and her family, this place was so homey, everyone was incredibly friendly, and remembered us right away the owner Mrs. Rose, said as soon as we sat down “Jimmy? Lillian? Oh my goodness how you two have grown! And you met her in my restaurant 8 years ago, little 9 year olds and your 17 now! Wow!” We smiled and shook our heads, Jimmy said “Yeah, Jimmy and Lillian, best friends for life! We are here because Lillian’s grandfather is in the hospital, so I’m trying to keep her mind off everything” “Wow, what an amazing friend you are Jimmy” Said Mrs. Rose. She then proceeded to ask us what we would like to eat, and we ordered our favorite chicken strips with a side of French fries. That’s what we always got, any place we went. We got our food and were having a conversation with Mrs. Rose’s daughters Jenifer and Misty, when my cell phone rang, it was my mother, she was calling to tell me that they were giving my grandfather 72 hours instead of 24 hours because he was doing slightly better, but not well enough. I hung up the phone and told Jimmy. We finished off our food, said goodbye and headed back to the hospital, I felt I needed to be with my grandfather during this time. We drove and drove, stopping at my house on the way there, so I could change into a pair of sweats, to stay comfortable. We got there and walked solemnly up to his room, and when we walked in, he was sitting up speaking with my mother, Jimmy and I burst into slight smiles, as we ran to his bedside, but our smiles and joy faded when he said “Who are you?” I burst into tears, how my own grandfather could not know who I was.  My mother explained to both of us that my grandfather had amnesia, and did not remember anything or anyone.  

No comments: